Want glowing and hydrated skin? Facial steams are making a come back!! They’re a simple, at home way to up the ante on your skin care regime, and you can add herbs, florals & essential oils to customise to your skin needs.
The warm steam opens up your pores allowing moisture, and anything you have added, to soak right in.
An added bonus is that anything you apply to your skin afterwards will soak in really well, so you're really getting the most out of your products.
Benefits of Facial Steams:
Cleansing - during a facial steam the skin is softened and the face sweats making it easier to remove impurities like whiteheads and blackheads as well as toxins, dirt and bacteria buildup.
Hydrating - both heat and moisture help to make your skin more permeable and this allows nourishing and hydrating skin care products to penetrate your skin much more deeply than applying them to an un-steamed face.
Circulation boosting - in response to the heat from the steam the body initiates a thermoregulation response. Blood vessels in the skin dilate and this increases the blood flow in your face, delivering oxygen and nutrients to the skin. This boost in circulation also helps fight the signs of ageing, leaving you with glowing plump skin
Relaxing - the warm steam and soothing smells of essential oils, florals or herbs you have added will affect the limbic system to balance emotions and help you to relax.
How to Facial Steam
1. Choose what you’re going to add into your facial steam ie. herbs, essential oils or florals (or head in store to treat yourself to a jar of 'Theseeke Floral Facial Steam' which boasts skin healing ingredients such as rose buds & calendula).
2. Cleanse your face with a mild cleanser.
3. Boil 4 cups of distilled water, if you are adding herbs to your mix, add them to the water once it is boiled and simmer for 2-3 mins. Take off heat and pour into a bowl then add any essential oils or florals.
4. Test the heat of the steam and and ensure it isn’t too hot for your face - you don’t want to burn yourself!
5. When the steam is a suitable temperature, place your face over the bowl and drape a large thick towel over your head and the bowl, ensuring the towel acts like a blanket and contains the steam - you can lift a corner of the towel to let a little cool air in if its uncomfortably hot. Steam for 5-10 minutes.
6. Splash your face with lukewarm water and apply your favourite moisturiser or serum.